MONICA CHRISTINE FERNANDO
Monica Christine Fernando
Family and Couples Therapist
M.A. Couns. (Singapore), Certified Gottman Couple Therapist (Lev 3, Seattle),
Accredited Parenting Consultant
(Triple P, Uni. Of Queensland, Australia
endorsed by Ministry of Social and Family Development- MSF), Family Life Educator (FLE), Instructor Trainer – Marital First Responders (SUSS, MSF), Registered Clinical Member, Singapore Association of Counselling (SAC)
Monica Fernando is a competent and highly qualified senior counsellor. She has seen clients achieve their goals and experience transformation in their lives. She provides interventions and support for her clients through a wide-ranging set of modalities that she is qualified to utilize, such as Family Systems Therapy, Gottman Couple Therapy, Torn Asunder (an Affairs Recovery Programme), Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Trauma Therapy, and Brief Psychodynamic Therapy among others.
Monica is passionate about working with Individuals, Couples and Families. She has counselled clients experiencing mental health issues, disharmony in couple relationships, and discord in families.
Marriage and Family Therapist
Gottman Couple Therapy – 2011-2015
Torn Asunder – An Affair Recovery Programme for couples experiencing
Instructor Trainer – Marital First Responder (SUSS, MSF, Fei Yue) – 2018
Family Therapy (Khoo Teck Phua Hospital, Calgary Family Therapy Centre,
Canada) – 2019
Accredited Parenting Consultant (Tripe P, University of Queensland, Australia,
MSF) – 2015
Family Life Educator (Since 2012)
- Speaker and Trainer – has conducted over 300 talks in Child-care Centres,
Kindergartens, Primary Schools, Secondary Schools, Junior Colleges and ITE
Colleges on Parenting and Psychoeducation
Certifications and Accreditations
- Certified Gottman Therapist (Lev 3, Seattle)
- Certified in Emotion Focused Therapy: Extra-Marital Affairs (Care Corner Training
- Trained in Torn Asunder (An Affair Recovery Program)
- Accredited Trainer, Prepare Enrich (Marriage Preparation Program)
- Trainer – Early Support Intervention Program (MSF, NUS)
- Accredited Parenting Consultant (Triple P, University of Queensland Aus., MSF)
- Certified in Family Therapy (Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, Calgary Family Therapy
- Family Law for Social Service Professionals (SSI, NCSS)
- Application of Intervention Plans for Various Mental Health Conditions
- Managing Trauma in Clients (The Therapy Room), PESI – Ongoing
- Emotion Focused Therapy: Part I (Caper Institute Singapore)
- Elderly Suicide: Prevention, Intervention and Management (SSI, NCSS)
- Certified in Satir Transformational Systemic Therapy – Foundational (Satir Centre,
- Certification in CTRT: Basic Intensive Training (William Glasser Institute,
- Certificate in Systemic Approach to Clinical Supervision (SAC)
- Marriage L.I.N.K.S. TM (Love Thinks, Family Central)
- Marital First Responders (SUSS, MSF)
- Couples Communication (Interpersonal Communication Programmes Inc. (USA,
- Go Fish! – Family Intervention (Family Central, MSF)
- 12 Conversations for Building Strong Marriages (Family Central, Marriage Central,
Monica has been in the people-helping field for over three decades. She believes that transformation is within each person and that it can be achieved despite obstacles and challenges that you face.
She has served as a Counsellor, Marriage and Family Therapist, Parenting Consultant, Speaker and Trainer. She has served in a multi-faceted range of Counselling establishments and has gained much experience in supporting and helping people with various needs. For example, she has worked with couples to improve their marriages, worked with couples facing infidelity issues to salvage their marriages, couples experiencing divorce, families breaking up due to differing expectations of parenting, and students struggling with identity, relationships, and family stress.
Monica is passionate about providing solutions to the growing number of mental health conditions among young people that is triggered by the state of the family environment. In her experience with her clients, she has seen how the family unit helps individuals to manage their mental health conditions successfully and become better. She believes that the family unit can influence a better and healthy society through positive parenting, marriage, extended family relationships and circles of friends. By using research-based interventions such as the Gottman Couples Therapy and Positive Parenting Programme (Triple P) Monica has seen efficacy and positive results in the services she renders.
Monica is widely known in the Singapore School system as a Trainer for parents through the multiple training programmes she has conducted in over 300 institutions. She has also been featured in interviews on radio and has contributed to articles in news media. She has been a consultant at round table discussions at Young NTUC on Total Fertility Rate where younger Singaporeans were encouraged to build families due to the dipping TFR.
Monica is married and is a mother to 3 children aged 26, 22 and 18 and one dog. She loves to talk with friends and try out exotic food, often at the same time. She is a durian fan and treasures family time playing games and watching movies.