ADHD TestClinical Diagnostics
What is ADHD?
Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a medical condition that affects a person’s ability to pay attention and control impulsive behaviours. ADHD can also express itself in children and can typically be detected from age 5 onwards.
There are two categories:
(i) Inattention (sometimes also called attention-deficit disorder (ADD));
(ii) Hyperactivity / Impulsivity.
Symptoms for the inattention category include
- difficulty with staying focused
- making careless mistakes
- avoiding mentally demanding tasks
- being distracted and losing things often
Symptoms for the hyperactive type can be
- difficulty with sitting still
- being very talkative and speaking out of turn
- often fidgeting, squirming in the seat
- constantly looking at your phone
- having a high energy level, and being constantly on the move
Please note that even if you have experienced many of these symptoms, it does not necessarily mean that you have ADHD. When a clinician diagnoses ADHD, they also take into account the following factors:
- the intensity and frequency of these behaviours,
- duration of the behaviours – at least 6 months,
- whether they persist every day, and
- if they cause significant impairment in functioning in a major area of life, such as school, work, family, or social life.
Promises also conducts psychological testing for ADHD in adults.
Causes and Risk Factors of ADHD
ADHD has a biological basis, and genetics can also play a role; a child is much more likely to develop ADHD if either of their parents have the disorder. ADHD in children is usually more severe in its symptoms and tends toward hyperactivity. ADHD in children can lead to poorer than expected results in their education and social development. Promises’ professional child psychologists are well-trained in ADHD spectrum testing and treatment.
If you suspect your child has ADHD you should consult a professional clinician to diagnose them.
What to Expect during ADHD Testing?
The Assessment Process:
As part of our ADHD testing procedure, we prioritize an initial assessment with the parent(s) to gather crucial information about the child’s concerns and symptoms.
- Depending on the specific concerns, we administer relevant tests during scheduled sessions. The duration of testing typically spans about two or more sessions of about 2 hrs each. However, the exact length may vary depending on the child’s capacity and individual needs.
- To ensure the child’s comfort and alleviate fatigue and stress, we may choose to space out the testing over multiple days.
- Upon completion of all testing, our team prepares a comprehensive written report based on the assessment and testing outcomes. The report will provide valuable insights into the child’s strengths and difficulties, along with recommendations for both home and school environments.
- To ensure clarity and address any concerns, we arrange a feedback session for parents. During this session, parents will have the opportunity to discuss the report in detail, ask questions, and seek further clarification on any aspects they wish to understand better.
At Promises Healthcare, our goal is to provide a thorough and informative ADHD testing experience. We aim to support parents in understanding their child’s needs and offering appropriate recommendations for their overall well-being and success.
At the initial consultation session, the psychologist will have a discussion with parents regarding the charges for the assessment, which will depend on the specific needs of the child or person and the tests that are required. The charges usually range from SGD$1,800 to SGD$2,800, but this can vary depending on the complexity of the assessment required.
Symptoms can be managed by psychotherapy. Psychotherapy e.g. usually focuses on identifying strengths and weaknesses. Strategies for planning and organization are explored, looking at current strategies that work and developing new ways of dealing with the symptoms.
For a closer look at ADHD and Dr. Winslow’s recommendations, visit our blog or listen to The Straits Times Health Check podcast where he was invited on to talk about ADHD.
Book an appointment with one of our clinicians to schedule an ADHD test:
GET IN TOUCH
Please be assured that all information shared with us will be kept confidential*.
At Promises, we aim to create a safe space to aid you in your recovery journey.
#09-22/23, Novena Medical Center,
10 Sinaran Drive, Singapore 307506.
Mon to Fri: 9am – 6pm
Sat: 9am – 3pm (Clinical Services Only)
+65 6397 7309
+65 6397 7301
Clinic: Please use the "Contact Us" form to get in touch with the clinic.
Careers: [email protected]
Media/Marketing: [email protected]
EAP/Training: [email protected]
Medico-legal/Forensics: [email protected]
Too much OCD or ADHD medication for kids?
Are children being over-medicated for mental health issues? We spoke to DR ADRIAN LOH, Senior Consultant Psychiatrist at Promises Healthcare, who explained how doctors balance the use of drugs like or ODC or ADHD medication for kids with a duty of care in diagnostics...
An Interview with ANZA magazine on how psychological testing can help your child
Raising a child is demanding - their emotions and personality trait can change frequently. As a parent, how can you tell if your child's behaviour is part of growing up or a cause for concern? Child psychologists at Promises, Tan Su-Lynn and SC Anbarasu speak to the...
An Interview with HoneyKids Asia on the whats and hows of ADHD in Children
While most of us may be familiar with the term ADHD or Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, we may be unfamiliar with the challenges and struggles a child diagnosed with ADHD goes through. Our senior psychologists from the Child and Adolescent team, S. C....
Overwhelmed At Work?: Demystifying Executive Functioning Deficits
Written by Dr B. Malavika, Psychological & Educational Therapist Have you met Michael recently? He's the bright, young, dynamic person at our office… I always thought of him as the person who’s the life of the party, and he genuinely seems to care for his...
An interview about Children with ADHD on Vasantham’s En Ullae S2 with S C Anbasaru
Vasantham (Mediacorp’s Tamil & Hindi TV Channel) studios reached out to Promises Healthcare’s Senior Clinical Psychologist, S C Anbarasu, in the name of bringing greater mental health awareness to the Indian community in Singapore. In En Ullae S2 episode 9, we are...
You can manage your ADHD better – by thinking about it differently
In this episode of the Health Check podcast, Dr. Winslow reveals that he suffers from attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. No-one would begrudge you your raised eyebrows, least of all him. After all, it is precisely his duty to educate you about ADHD. Dr. Winslow...